1) Butter has to be melted in a large pot over medium heat.
2) Onion, celery and carrot must be added and this mixture should be seasoned with pepper and salt.
3) They need to be cooked for 5 minutes while stirring often and stop when the vegetables turn tender.
4) Garlic has to be added and cooked for 30 seconds. (You can stop when fragrance comes out)
5) The next step is to add flour and you have to stir well to create a coating on the vegetables.
6) Then, chicken broth, potatoes, bay leaf, thyme and chicken have to be added and seasoned with pepper and salt.
7) This mixture must be brought to a simmer and cooked for 15 minutes. (You can stop when the potatoes become tender and chicken no longer remains pink)
8) Now, take out chicken from the pot and place it on a medium-sized bowl.
9) The chicken needs to be shredded into small pieces with the help of two forks before returning it to the pot.
10) Parsley can be used to garnish prior to serving.