1) A large saucepan (heavy-based) has to be heated and the heat need to be kept at medium to high.
2) Tomatoes need to be added and fried for 4 to 5 minutes. (Make sure that the tomatoes begin to break down)
3) Two tablespoons olive oil, tomato puree, basil and garlic must be added and cooked for 1 or 2 minutes.
4) After adding the vegetable stock, the mixture needs to brought to a boil and simmered for 3 to 4 minutes after reducing the heat.
5) The soup mixture must be placed in a food processor and blended to get a puree.
6) Now, the soup has to be returned to the pan and seasoned with sugar, pepper and salt.
7) The cream has to be poured in and the mixture again should be returned to a simmer for 1 or 2 minutes.
8) The remaining olive oil needs to be used to brush the ciabatta slices.
9) A griddle pan must be heated and ciabatta should be added in batches before cooking for 1 to 2 minutes on each side. (You can stop when both sides become golden brown)
10) The soup has to be ladled into 4 serving bowls and then, small amount of double cream must be drizzled into all 4 bowls.
11) For garnishing, olive oil (a swirl) can be drizzled in and basil leaves can be sprinkled over as well.